Sunday 11 September 2011

My name is...

Miss Victoria McEwan.
Obviously I am not married from the title of ‘Miss’, although if I had my way I’d change it to something grand and super posh like ‘Lady’.  ‘Lady Victoria’ it does have a lovely ring to it if I do say so myself. 
I like my first name of Victoria as I feel it is a strong name, one of my pet hates is people who give their children really weak names like “Courtnee” or “Peaches”.  I like traditional names such as Georgia and Vincent but that is just personal taste. 
The name Victoria is of latin origin, coming from the latin word Victoria meaning ‘victory’.  I feel the four syllable pronunciation gives Victoria an air of formality.  It is difficult to make the name sound informal. 
My second name is traditionally a Scottish clan name, the country I have been born and raised in.  The name is derived from the personal name Ewen.  The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Eoghhainn.  So I’m pretty lucky I get to spell my version McEwan.
The McEwan family history stretches back to the clans of the Dalriadan kingdom on the Hebrides islands and the west-coast of Scotland. 
The motto translated is - "I grow green".  I'm not quite sure what to make of that.  Farmers perhaps?  Anyone else got any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment