Friday 4 November 2011

Volbeat review - Garage, Glasgow - 24th of October 2011

It is amazing what a little bit of rock and roll can do for your soul after days of never ending course work. A sold out Volbeat gig (at the Garage Glasgow) certainly provided a welcomed pick-me-up. 

Monday the 24th was the first time Danish rock band Volbeat have ever played Glasgow – after their last show in December being cancelled due to the beautiful Scottish weather. It was nice to finally see them playing their own show rather than a festival.



The style of music is hard to describe but I think ‘rockabilly-metal’ describes it best.  It’s a mix of old fashioned rock and roll with a metal edge to it.  They played all the songs that I had hoped they would play like ‘Sad mans tongue’ and ‘Hallelujah Goat’.   Check them both out if you haven’t already.

I’ve seen a lot of bands over the years but Volbeat stand out for me because of how brilliant they sound live.  I know nothing about the technicalities of music but I know that they are a bunch of very talented guys and as a band I think they are much underrated. 

If you enjoy live music then I really suggest seeing Volbeat next time them come or if they play a festival you’re at then take the time to go see them. 

Another reason seeing them is such a pleasure is because it’s clear to the audience that they love performing and appreciative of you taking the time to come see them.  As cheesy as this is, they even have a ‘thank you’ song.  It’s the first time I’ve ever experienced a band doing that. 

They also appear to be the kind of guys that would be a good laugh down the pub.  The joke where they referred to Motley Crue as dressing like “old transvestites” went down well with most of the crowd but made me feel like I maybe shouldn’t be there but hey ho Motley Crue aren’t everyone’s cup of whisky.

Considering the tickets were only £10 each it was definitely worth the money, although I’m unsure about The Garage as a gig venue.  The atmosphere just didn’t feel right for me but that might have had more to do with how busy it was. I was surprised when I found out that it was a sold out show.  I completely underestimated Volbeat’s popularity, which gives me hope that some of you reading this may actually know who I am talking about.

  If you ever go to The Garage for a gig take note that when the tickets say opens at 7.30 they mean the gig will start round about 7.30. Hence why I haven’t mentioned the support act ‘Black Spiders’.  I only caught one song and from what I heard it was good but I can’t really make a judgement based on that.






No comments:

Post a Comment