Monday 19 December 2011

Singapore sling



  • 1 1/2 oz gin


  • 1 oz lemon juice


  • 1/4 oz sugar syrup


  • 1 1/2 tsp powdered sugar

  • 2 oz club soda


  • 1/2 oz cherry brandy


  • lemon slice for garnish


  • Maraschino cherry for garnish



  • On the Friday the 9th of December I met my friend Calyx for the first time.  I have spoke to Calyxis online for years but I have never met her because she lives in Singapore.  A part of me thought I would never meet her for its uncertain if I will ever have the money in the near future to travel to Singapore, so I am happy she came over here.  Although I do plan to travel to Singapore when I have the money and also visit my Japanese friend Urara in Tokyo whilst I'm over that side of the world.

    I don't think I believed Calyix was truly in the country until I saw her.  It was one of those moments when you don't quite know what to say or how to react.  Especially when in a busy nightclub with loud music.

    Calyx and I weren't exactly on talking terms when we met sadly, I won't go into details but after having a strong friendship for years something happened and we did not speak for a couple of months.  However on meeting her I was so happy to finally meet her and be able to hug her that I decided to put the past behind us and forgive.  Sometimes you need to forgive and give people another chance.  if I had chosen not to I would have missed out on meeting and spending time with someone I once cherished. I still do but I am referring to the period we were not talking.

    After meeting Calyx on the Friday night she came through to Stirling on the Sunday so we could spend quality time with each other.  We wandered round Stirling taking the sites, drank coffee and visited the castle.  It was great to share the wonder of the castle with her - you know with castles being something Scotland is famous for - and she loves history as much as I do. I don't have any photo's from the castle since Calyx took most of the photo's but I will post some once she uploads them to Facebook.


    Here is the one photo I did take of myself and Calyx though.  I was sad to see her go back to Singapore, its a shame she could not have stayed for longer but I know I will see her again. I just don't know when.  I will just need to see what happens in the future.

    It was lovely to have finally got to meet someone I have shared so much with over the years, both good and bad.  It goes to show that distance doesn't need to be a problem in friendship - you can be thousands of miles apart and still share all that life brings. 

    I opened this post with a cocktail and I will finish it with the fabulous cocktail book Calyx got me as a gift.  Expect some fabulous cocktails in the new year.  Perhaps I will make a new Singapore cocktail with a Scottish twist.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment