Monday 23 April 2012

Schools out for summer and now its time to rock out but what to listen to?

Summer can be a hard time for us pasty rock chicks - for one the sun is not kind to our complexion but it can also feel a little bit morbid to be walking about on a glorious sunny day with the angry echoes of Slipknot blasting away in your ears.



In the sun (it's not raining) Download Festival: 2009

So get your suncream at hand for here are some tunes for the summer goth to embrace...

  1. Andrew W:K - The Get Wet album in general if I am being honest but to pick a few songs 'Party Till You Puke', 'Party Hard', 'Ready to Party', 'She is Beautiful' and 'I Love New York City'.  These tracks will get you set for any summer parties/bbq's you attend and regardless of the music choice of the host you will be pumped up enough to rock regardless.
  2. Black Sabbath - Iron Man - Anyone going to Download Festival this year will understand this choice.  One of the best and most profound bands in the business and despite playing the festival this year they deserve a space on this list.
  3. Skindred - Doom riff - Be set to swing your hips to big carnival drum beats.  If you practise Zumba even better - you can throw this track into your summer keep fit regime.
  4. Alanis Morissettte - Hand in My Pocket.  For me personally the summer always calls for a bit of Alanis.  I think it me subconsciously tapping into my hippy side.
  5. U2 - Beautiful Day.  Like marmite you either love this band or hate them.  I feel the same about Muse but we wont go there.  Regardless of whether you like the band or their politics its a good song to get yourself going in the morning.
  6. Bon Jovi - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.  This should be your motto this summer. Get out there! Go Explore. Oh, you can't be bothered?  I don't care.  Live a little.
  7. Volbeat - Sad Man's Tongue.  Come June/July I start listening to a lot of country music - I don't know why it's like a primal urge.  For this entry it was a toss up between Carrie Underwood, Johnny Cash or Volbeat.  I feel Carrie Underwood would have lost me street cred and everyone already knows to listen to Johnny Cash - hence Volbeat, one of the most underrated bands ever!
  8. ZZ Top - La Grange.  Carrying on with the country vibe but this one comes with a whole lot of swag.
  9. Blink 182 - Carousel.  The new American Pie movie is being released and no summer would be complete with a some punk and a whole load of reminiscing about past summers.
  10. Pendulum - Propane Nightmares.  I felt this list was lacking a dance track.  With summer being notoriously linked to Ibiza and rave culture it only felt right to add an edgy dance track in here or if you don't fancy this check out Pendulum covering Master of Puppets.

What would you add in here? Which song's make your summer?

Peace.

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment