Sunday 8 July 2012

Dark Shadows - Review

Being a massive fan of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp I was super hyped up for this film and was disappointed that it took me weeks to actually get to see it but the film did not let me down, unlike I did.

Despite bad reviews I thought the film was reasonably good and humorous in the 'laugh at' sense of comedic style.  I'm not going to lie and say it is Burton's best work but it is an enjoyable film. I would say it is probably a film that people around my age (21) and above will enjoy more than the age-range the film is aimed at (PG) but I think a lot of Burton films are like that.  Unless you are an age to know who Alice Cooper is you might be like Barnabas (the main character) and be misguided into thinking Alice is actually a woman.



The plot follows the story of Barnabas Collins and how he got turned into a vampire by a crazy ex-girlfriend who is also a witch who then subsequently went on to take over his family's canning business - in a tightly shut coffin. The film is based on the 1966-71 gothic soap opera of the same name.  I have never seen the soap opera but on doing research about the film it seems to have been highly regarded amongst those who remember it.

The film has the typical Burton gothic feel to it and Depp as usual fits in like the final piece of the puzzle.  As far as the cast goes I don't think Burton could have chose any better. As usual there were moans about him using Depp and his wife Helena Bonham Carter but I say if it's not broke then don't fix it. Michelle Pfeiffer and Chloe Grace Moretz who you will recognise from Kick Ass also complement the film greatly and contribute to that icy uncomfortable feel that characters in Burton films often have.

If you enjoy Burton films like Alice in Wonderland then you will enjoy this but in general I would say that it's a film to see at least once. You'll either find it all right or you'll thoroughly enjoy it.  It is no longer in the cinema but it will be out on DVD in the next couple of months and no doubt on Lovefilm and/or Netflix shortly after that.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment