Sunday 11 September 2011

Should fertility treatment be free?

Infertility I feel is a topic that I feel remains on the ever decreasing list of subjects which as taboo – so what is it that makes infertility something that people do not want to talk about?
I feel it is often out of embarrassment and trying to save ones face, as some would argue that the whole purpose of the female sex is to have babies and if you can’t do that naturally does that make you less of a woman?
I personally don’t believe this, the same as I don’t believe being gay makes you any less of a human as being straight does but like infertility the topic still remains fairly taboo – especially where having children as concerned – but we’ll come to that later.
I feel that infertility is an illness and treatment should be available on the NHS, unless the person requesting the treatment has made themselves infertile through their lifestyle choices.  I don’t understand why the treatment of infertility is even being questioned for are other illnesses such as diabetes or even more serious illnesses like MS not under the same umbrella?  It is pretty clear that the human body is not perfect – any part of it can stop working.  So why is it so taboo when people’s reproductive systems don’t work quite right?
I think that if the NHS is going to pay for people to undergo operations such as gastric band bypass then they cannot justify not allowing people to undergo fertility treatment.  I would argue that obesity is more a self-inflicted illness and infertility is more down to chance or sheer bad luck.  I don’t believe that because your body doesn’t cooperate with the baby making process this means that you don’t have the right to be a parent.  Sometimes the body just needs a little assistance and if you are going to go through the emotional rollercoaster that I imagine infertility treatment to be then you arguably more suited to being a parent just through sheer dedication to the cause than some silly little teenage girl that got herself pregnant through her own stupidity and then found out too late that she was not quite grown up enough to have a full-time child.
Just because you create and carry the baby doesn’t necessarily make you a parent.  I believe being a parent has nothing to do with biology these days – all you have to do is watch Jeremy Kyle to see this.  Being a parent to me is about providing the child with the love and attention that it needs and setting up a future for it and it doesn’t matter if you share the same blood. 
 I do agree that there should perhaps be a limit on the infertility treatment available via the NHS as it can prove tricky to conceive and sometimes people should consider other options such as adoption and if there is to be a limit on infertility treatment there should also be a limit on abortions.  This is something I feel very strongly about in regardless to the current subject.  I understand that accidents can happen but if you are going to continually go out and make the same mistake over and over again then you should have to foot the bill to solve your problem or wise up and start using protection. 
Gay parents are another taboo subject and if I am being honest it is one I have mixed feelings on simply due to the society we live in.  I have no doubt that two parents of the same sex could be fantastic parents and provide a child with the nutrients to live a great live but the thing I worry about is the bullying the child would inevitably face and I’m not saying that I think this is right – I don’t – what I am saying is that due to the kind of society we live in and the prejudice still held against same sex couples they would face bullying.  But then again they could very possibly face bullying with two stereotypically straight parents. 
I think it is safe to end this blog with the argument that we live in a cruel world and sometimes people should think outside the box rather than seeing in straight lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment